The User Guide describes Landlab by topic area.
Users brand-new to Landlab should start with 10 minutes to Landlab.
Further information on any specific method can be obtained in the API reference.
The Landlab project creates an environment in which scientists can build a numerical surface process model without having to code all of the individual components. Surface process models compute flows of mass, such as water, sediment, glacial ice, volcanic material, or landslide debris, across a gridded terrain surface. Surface process models have a number of commonalities, such as operating on a grid of points and routing material across the grid. Scientists who want to use a surface process model often build their own unique model from the ground up, re-coding the basic building blocks of their surface process model rather than taking advantage of codes that have already been written.
A list of papers and presentations using Landlab can be found here.
Introduction to Python¶
The Landlab Grid¶
- Introduction to Landlab’s Gridding Library
- How a Grid is Represented
- Basic Grid Elements
- Creating a Grid
- Adding Data to a Landlab Grid Element using Fields
- Representing Gradients in a Landlab Grid
- Other Grid Elements
- Managing Grid Boundaries
- Boundary condition details and methods
- Using a Different Grid Type
- Importing a DEM
- Plotting and Visualization
- Visualizing a Grid
- Visualizing transects through your data
- Visualizing river profiles
- Making Movies
Model with Landlab and Components¶
- The Component Library
- What goes into a Landlab model?
Landlab and Units¶
Landlab Tutorial Library¶
- Landlab Standard Name Definitions
- Landlab Standard Name Field-Component Mapping
- Time steps
- Frequently Asked Questions
- I can’t install/test/run Landlab, what should I do?
- What is the difference between a cell and a node?
- Why is my node data a 1d array? I’m using a raster…
- How do I set the boundary codes for the edges of a grid?
- Can I import Landlab output into ParaView or VisIt?
- How do I get netCDF output?
- How do I assign values from nodes to links?
- How do I test whether my grid is regular or irregular?
- How do I modify boundary conditions for part of the grid where I know the coordinates?
- I am having trouble installing Landlab on Ubuntu without Anaconda. What is the fix?
- Support: How can I ask more questions and get help?
- How do I keep in touch with Landlab developments?
- Why are there no other FAQs besides these few?
Presentations, Clinics, and Classroom Use¶
Overland flow User Guide¶
CellLab-CTS User Guide¶
Major Version Transition Guides¶
- Transition from Landlab 0.x to 1.0
- Transition from Landlab 1.x to 2.0
- Changes to standard names from Landlab 0.x to 1.x